List the factors that enabled Gandhiji to successfully mobilize the masses for freedom.
Gandhiji was able to communicate with the people and won public support despite problems like cultural and linguistic diversity and hostile alien government.
- Through identity with the masses and their aspirations: He made the people to identify themselves with a cause. He discarded his Western dress and dressed himself in the briefest of garments. By doing so, the people identified themselves with him and the cause he represented.
- Use of symbol: Gandhiji used the charkha (spinning wheel) symbol, which became the logo of the national movement, symbolizing self-reliance and people’s participation in the cause of the movement.
- Staging of events like the Dandi March: The Dandi March to make salt was a challenge to the British rulers and captured the imagination of the whole nation. The bonfires of foreign cloth was another such device, Gandhi used.
- Holding of public meetings: Gandhiji also held public meeting and communicated and motivated the masses.
- Writing of hard hitting articles in Harijan: He published a journal, Harijan, and continued to write articles focusing on problems of interest to the people.