Supervision means overseeing and observing work in progress, make suggestions for better work performance and issue guidelines for corrective action. Supervision is direct and is provided at work place while the work is going on. Supervision is a management tool of making the directing process successful and achieve desired goal through efficient work as promoted through supervision. Supervision is based on close observation and sound technical knowledge of the work under progress.
Requirements of Effective supervision: Supervision to be effective has to fulfill the following basic requirements:
- Perfect technical or process knowledge: A supervisor to be effective must have perfect technical knowledge or the knowledge of the process.
- Managerial ability: Effective supervision is possible only through managerial abilities to plan, organize and direct and coordinate.
- Leadership qualities: A supervisor to be effective must be a good leader with his fellow men.
- Communication skills: Efficient supervision is based on effective communications.
- Knowledge of policies and rules: A good supervisor should have through knowledge of management policies and basic labor laws.
- Resource usage skills: To be effective a supervisor use all available resources in most effective and efficient manner.
- Human approach: Effective supervision is possible only through a very effective human approach.