What usually happens to married couples on their wedding night? What are some of the common aspects influencing couple in choosing any of the family planning methods?
People weave lot of fantasies associated with the wedding night. If we see in the context of India, marriage are like grand festivals wherein rituals and ceremonies are performed that usually lasts for the entire night and most of the next day’s morning leaving the couple tired and completely exhausted. Moreover, they are ignorant and inexperienced and have vague or inaccurate knowledge about sex after marriage. Though, married, both are stranger for each other. Both partners experience an unknown fear of the first night. They also have a mental pressure to live up to their fantasies of the first night which are generally taken from the various movies.
The woman also experience fear related to pain and bleeding and the man reel under pressure of giving a good performance. Another factor that have an impact on the minds of the newly married couple on their first night is the history of any kind of sexual abuse experienced by either partner.
Family planning is essential for an improved quality of life by having control on the size of the family as well as the difference between children. It is joint decision of both partners what methods to choose for the family planning. The decision taken by them depend on factors like:
- The knowledge about various methods available to the couple.
- Different services that are available in this field and above all are accessible to the couple.
- The effects of the contraceptive measures on either partner, e.g. in some cases women who opt for copper T as a contraceptive measure experiences heavy bleeding and occasionally infections. This forces her to discontinue the use of copper T as a family planning measure despite its high effectiveness. She has to look for another measure that would suit her body and would also be convenient to both the partners.
- Decision of the couple on the number of children they wish to have. If the couple decides not to have any more children, they may opt for surgical method of contraception.
- It is necessary to keep in mind the health condition of the both the partners before deciding on the family planning measure.
- Last but not the least, religious sentiments, they play a major role in deciding the contraceptive measure for family planning. In some religions the, use of contraception is not allowed.